FACE TO FACE COURSE: Supporting LGBT Children, Young People and Families
Date & Time:
The purpose of this course is to raise awareness about the need for those working with children and families to be aware of the specific needs and associated safeguarding risks that may be experienced by children and young people who are LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) or questioning their sexuality or gender. The aims of this course are to:
- Understand the prevalence and impact of Homophobic, Biphobic and Transphobic (HBT) bullying on LGBT children, young people and families
- Understand the safeguarding risks in relation to children and young people who are LGBT
- Understand the legal context, including Ofsted requirements and what schools/youth services should be doing
- Explore the impact of HBT language and how to challenge it
- Understand the experience of trans and gender questioning children and young people and how to support them
- Consider how this relates to your own role and identify next steps to improve practice
- Share knowledge and expertise
- Signpost guidance, resources and local support
Refreshments: Delegates will need to bring their own lunch and water. Light refreshments will be available.
COVID-19 safeguards: Places will be limited to enable social distancing in the well-ventilated training room. Delegates are invited to wear a face mark and take a lateral flow test in advance of the training. We also ask that delegates adhere to ‘hands, face, space’ and ‘letting fresh air in’ guidance. Should delegates have any symptoms of COVID-19 (however mild), we ask that they do not attend the training.
Access: There is a regular bus service to the village via Stagecoach (S4). Buses run from Steeple Aston to Banbury Bus Station or Oxford, Magdalen Street from early morning until early evening. The journey to Oxford takes around 45 minutes, while the Banbury trip is usually 10 minutes shorter. The nearest train station is in Heyford (0.7 miles away) so delegates could walk, cycle or get a taxi from here.
Parking: For delegates coming by car, free parking is available opposite the school and adjacent to the recreation ground.